Saturday, April 23, 2011

French Onion Pie FTW!

Today I made two french onion pies.  I need to have something easy to bring over to my in-laws tomorrow for Easter so I thought this would be perfect.  I have one pie for today and one to share tomorrow.  The recipe itself was rather easy.  Well, almost easy because slicing 5 onions was making me tear up like crazy.  Even Joel & Will were having trouble dealing with the onions.  The recipe came out great.  The pies are delicious with a great mix of sweet onions, creamy filling, and warm pie crust.  Next time I think I will experiment with adding other veggies and maybe even some tomatoes.  This recipe comes from The Vegan Table which I love.  I've seen this book get some poor reviews but everything I've made from it has been delicious.  Here's the recipe:

 Ingredients       

    2 uncooked vegan pie shells, thawed
    1 tablespoon oil or non-dairy butter
    5 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
    15 oz extra firm tofu, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    5 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)

Directions        
Preheat oven to 350 and bake pie crusts for 10 minutes, until crust starts to color. Remove from oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat, add onions and garlic, and sauté until translucent. Add sugar and salt and continue cooking for another 15-30 minutes (longer for more carmelization).  Its worth caramelizing the onions, they taste great in the pie.  

Meanwhile add the remaining ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Transfer to onions in pan and mix with onions.  Remove from heat.

Spread mixture into pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is slightly firm and the crust is golden. Slice and serve.




  

1 comment:

  1. Mmm this looks great and super easy! I love onion tarts they're so delicious and great for the summer. I will try this sometime (whenever I can find nutritional yeast, it'll be a good way to test it out!).

    ReplyDelete